Sunday, April 09, 2006

Fly me to the moon

I've spent the weekend procrastinating and watching a couple of episdoes of 'A plane is born' on Discovery Real Time. Well, I say watching. My boyfriend was watching it while I seethed inside over the presenter. He was obviously a complete pillock in the first place, but it was almost as though he couldn't help it. Every so often, out would come these sexist gems: "it's so easy even a woman could do it" etc.

This made me think. How come it's okay to make these kind of comments about women, but not about racism etc? At some point, the comments I heard yesterday would have gotten him and the channel into trouble. However, it is now apparently *fine* to say those things. When did this happen? When did gender equality and respect get so eclipsed?

Perhaps at the moment when lots of young women decided not to identify as feminist (men don't like it, apparently. Well who cares?)and instead giggle inanely whenever someone makes a sexist joke. Because it's liberating, don't you know.

Grrrr...

1 comment:

l said...

Actually, I found it to be quite clear that she was talking about the presenter.

And, I understand about the pervasiveness of sexist jokes. It irritates me to no end. I never laugh at them...mostly because I don't find them funny and also because I want to make a point.

Great blog, by the way!